Thursday, February 4, 2010

5 year selling cycle for home owners


If you own a home, there is an odd phenomenon, totally unscientific in nature but completely true from my personal experience.

As an agent we find that neighborhoods go through selling cycles every 5 to 7 years, which works in terms of average appreciation rates in a normal healthy market. This selling cycle is a bit inconvenient in our current market.

Here has been my experience as a homeowner. You move in to your new home, start making it your own, slowly step out of your comfort zone and begin bonding with your neighbors. You go through a couple of years of neighborhood holiday parties, borrowing tools, cups of sugar and general friendship. A couple more years pass, kids get older, friendships change, marriages, divorces, jobs won, jobs lost, life in general going on as life does. Then you start to see that the neighborhood is "changing" when in reality we change. Life paths change, housing needs change and the fix is more than repainting a room. Sometimes it makes me think that moving to the top of a mountain with the nearest neighbor being an eagle or squirrel would be lovely. But I am much too social for my own good. I admit that while attempting to be a good neighbor and friend I have found myself in the position of knowing way too much about the people living in the houses around me. So today I sit here with a lovely home, still in need of a kitchen remodel and new flooring (we have lived here 6 years) and I am wondering, maybe it will take the energy of a new homeowner, eager to jump in and out of their comfort zone and get involved with my ever changing neighborhood and my most interesting neighbors. It's not like I have even seen a home that I would prefer, sometimes I think we just need to change up our interactions. Don't get me wrong, I have great neighbors, it is just amazing to me that this "selling cycle", so critical in my business life, is driven by the emotions of our personal lives. Stay tuned, I will let you know if we decide to actually act on this crazy phenomenon. If you have ever experienced anything like this, I would love to hear from you. As always, I am keeping it real!

No comments:

Post a Comment